Scottish Cup: Allan turns key in jam-packed second half win at Brechin

Posted on Sunday, October 29th, 2023

The Spartans reigned in the rain at Brechin on Saturday as they progressed on the Road to Hampden with a 1-2 victory at Glebe Park.

A re-run of last season’s pyramid play-off saw this encounter as one of the pick of the ties of the round with much anticipation of another tight affair – and that it turned out to be.

Brechin’s groundstaff worked their magic to ensure the pitch passed an early morning inspection and the Spartans faithful headed to Angus, complete with a bus full of Ultras North young fans, fresh from their TV appearance the previous evening on the BBC’s View From The Terrace. 

The early exchanges saw players adapt to the blustery wet conditions and with dynamic fast-flowing football already proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Jamie Dishington was first to make decent progress as he ventured towards the Brechin box.  His shot was blocked, a weak appeal for a penalty was offered and Referee Ryan Lee shook his head.

Brechin were naturally keen to avenge that end of season play-off outcome and came close as they went on the break, racing towards the stand housing both sets of Ultras whipping up a cacophony of noise, with Jacques Heraghty to forced to palm the ball behind at his near post.

Captain Kevin Waugh was in fine form at the heart of the visiting defence and he produced a pair of timely interventions to deny the hosts from taking a lead into the sheds at the break.

HT: Brechin City 0-0 The Spartans

The second half was only three minutes old when the deadlock was broken.  A low cross into the box from out wide by Jamie Dishington skited across the slippy surface. 

The Brechin defender who set out to clear only managed to poke the ball into the path of Bradley Whyte who took a touch before just managing to latch on to it and send it into the back of the net. “Ya beauty” belted out Fargie the bus driver who doubled up as videographer for the day.

Dishington was unlucky not to find a goal of his own when his effort was deflected behind as Spartans looked to double their lead.

That goal finally came in the 75th minute.  An in-swinging corner to the near post was headed on by Ayrton Sonkur and there was Mikey Allan hugging the back stick and the defender tapped home from a full yard sending the young team in the stand absolutely radge.

Gavin Morrison then replaced the industrious playmaker Jamie Dishington. Well, eventually anyway as the Ref noticed the incoming Morrison needed to attend to his ring to ensure it was covered before entering the field of play.

Then it was Sean Brown’s turn to enter the fray as he swapped berths with Blair Henderson who worked hard throughout on the sodden surface.

A lifeline was offered to the hosts with ten minutes left on the clock when they were awarded a free-kick out on the corner of the box.  It was sent into the danger area and Hamish Thomson headed home to set up a grandstand finale.

Drama followed – ok, it played a fair part – of the final five minutes of play.  First up, with Bradley Whyte racing in on goal, he was taken out by Euan Spark on or around the edge of the penalty box.  A free-kick awarded and Referee Lee offering Spark an early opportunity to get out of the returning heavy rain by brandishing him a red card.

James Craigen’s deadball effort couldn’t have been any closer to restoring Spartans two goal advantage.  It beat the wall and the goalie before hitting the post before exiting across the face of the goal behind the static keeper who was largely unaware of what had just gone on behind him.

A rammy then followed.  Gavin Morrison slid in for a robust challenge down by the corner flag in front of the immaculately kept iconic hedge.  Players raced from different postcodes to join in the fracas.  Finally, calm was restored and bookings handed out to Morrison, Rhys Armstrong and Liam Duell, the latter pair for their involvement in the ding-dong.

Deep into injury time, Bradley Whyte looked like he’d bagged his second when he slid the ball beyond the advancing Wilson only for it to agonisingly fall the wrong side of the post.

After five full minutes of added time, the full time whistle echoed around the ground and Spartans had made it into Sunday night’s draw (7.30pm).

FT: Brechin City 1-2 The Spartans

Next Fixture

Date: 29/06/24
Opponent: Livingston FC
Venue:Ainslie Park
Competition: Pre-Season Friendly
Kick off: 3.00pm

William Hill J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin