Lowland League | Windy woes for Spartans in Kilby defeat

Posted on Sunday, November 1st, 2020

Two second half goals saw Spartans leave East Kilbride without any reward for their endeavours in a blustery afternoon at K-Park.

New loan signing Harry Stone took over the gloves from crocked keeper Blair Carswell whilst Captain Adam Corbett and his defensive partner Mikey Allan returned to the side after serving their recent one match suspension.

With gale-force gusts sweeping round the ground, the warm-up offered players a taste of things to come as the windy weather offered some challenges on guessing where the ball would land out of the gloomy South Lanarkshire sky.

The early exchanges saw both teams look to keep the passing on the deck and the hosts looked the liveliest at going forward however the Spartans defence remained resolute, including a first class tackle by Mikey Allan that sent his man sprawling whilst Michael Bolochoweckyi was his talismanic self at the back.

A half chance fell into the path of Scott Maxwell following a well timed pass by Gregor Woods however he couldn’t get enough purchase on the shot and in the end, it was a comfortable save for the keeper.

It got even closer for the visitors when Maxwell’s cross into the heart of the box found the head of Sam Jones who unfortunately couldn’t direct the ball into the net.

On the stroke of half time, Keir Russell had a pop from long range and with the wind helping the ball change direction on the way towards the goal, the keeper could only spill but it was hoofed to safety and the players made their way into the sheds.

HT: East Kilbride 0-0 The Spartans

The first half saw Spartans with the better of the chances with the hosts securing the bigger slice of the possession pie. 

Both teams set out to rectify that after the oranges however the lottery of second guessing the direction of ball travel finding a direct route to goal elusive.

That changed just after the hour mark.  Spartans were caught offside and a quick restart by Bell found Erskine who passed to Woods and the first time strike left Stone with little chance and the hosts were ahead.

Spartans shuffled the cards when Archie Meekison came on for Alan Brown midway through the half.

A fine save from Harry Stone gave the hosts a corner in the 72nd minute.  Armstrong whipped in the delivery to the back post, Smith nodding it back into the danger area and Steven Bell headed it home.

A triple change saw Spartans go for broke as they looked for an avenue into the game.  Jordan Caddow, Scott McCrory-Irving and Daniel Baur entered the fray, replacing Woods, Russell and Allan.

Joe Tait was then introduced as the game entered the final 10 minutes and he almost made an immediate impact with some fancy feet inside the box however he could only look on agonisingly when his shot went inches past the post.

With the game entering it’s final stages, Spartans were offered a lifeline when Meekison was upended in the box.  After lengthy consideration by the officials, the Referee pointed to the spot.  Up stepped Meekison however Brennan guessed correctly and pulled off the save.

Full Time: East Kilbride 2-0 The Spartans

Spartans: Stone, Russell (Caddow 77), Allan (Baur 77), Corbett, Bolochoweckyi, Woods (McCrory-Irving 77), Brown (Meekison 68), Watson, Murrell (Tait 81), Jones, Maxwell.  Subs (Not Used) Dawson, Trialist.

Next Fixture

Date: Saturday 27th April
Opponent: Peterhead
Venue:Ainslie Park
Competition: SPFL 2
Kick off: 3.00pm

cinch J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin