Dishington makes it EK-peekies with first senior goal in Kilby draw

Posted on Wednesday, August 26th, 2015

Jamie Dishington’s late header earned Spartans a draw against East Kilbride who played out the remaining few minutes with ten men after Bernard Coll saw red.

The first half started in frantic fashion with Aaron Murrell ensuring the East Kilbride defence stayed on their toes in the opening stages with inventive play on and off the ball as Spartans looked to forge open an early opportunity.

At the other end, Kristopher Gebbie was keen to shoot on sight and on the quarter hour mark his effort almost cleared the boundary fence in a valiant attempt to open the scoring.

Martyn McLaughlin’s 25th minute shot, hit with some ferocity, cleared the bar, but not the ball-boy behind Blair Carswell’s goal who was caught off-guard and felt the force of leather on face.  After a shot of Craig Samuel’s magic sponge, the young lad was back up on his feet in no time.

Spartans looked to have taken the lead in the 33rd minute after Craig Stevenson’s shot was guided into the unguarded net by Aaron Murrell, only for the teenager to see the Assistant Referee’s flag raised as he turned to start his celebrations.

On the stroke of half-time, David Greenhill drilled a shot low across the six yard box which Matthew McGinley assisted on its way behind by getting a glove to the ball.

Half Time: Spartans 0-0 East Kilbride

Six minutes after the interval, Aaron Murrell was fouled on the edge of the Kilby penalty box offering Eddie Malone a chance with a free-kick.  The woodwork came between the scoreboard turning over and remaining in situ.

Against the run of play, East Kilbride took a 53rd minute lead.  A Gavin Lachlan through ball outfoxed the Spartans defence for Jack Smith to run on to and put the K-Park side a goal to the good.

Dougie Samuel made a 67th minute double substitution with Brad Raiker and Blair Atkinson replacing Craig Stevenson and Sam Carmichael.

It was another former under 20s player who made it all square with 19 minutes left.  A corner by Alan Brown made travelled over the crowded area before finding Jamie Dishington at the back post and the youngster grabbed his first senior goal for the club.

Danny Main was unlucky not to give Spartans the lead when his header seemed to be well saved by McGinley however Referee Smith deemed the attempt to have cleared the bar unaided.

With five minutes to go, it was a welcome return to Spartans colours for Ally Mackinnon who replaced Murrell.  Moments later, McGinley collected the ball on the edge of his six yard box and to his bemusement, the whistler adjudged that it’s journey to glove came by virtue of a pass-back.  The Kilby wall stood firm – and stretched across the goal line – with no way through from the effort that followed.

East Kilbride’s Bernard Coll beat the rush for the post-match showers after he was shown a straight red for an unhelpful challenge on Michael Herd in the middle of the park.  Perhaps the easiest decision of the night for Smith who made more bookings than some shows in this month’s Edinburgh Festival.

Full Time: Spartans 1-1 East Kilbride

Spartans: Carswell, Stevenson (Raiker 67), Main, Malone, Carmichael (Atkinson 67), Greenhill, Dishington, Herd, Murrell (Mackinnon 85), Ward, Brown.  Subs: Thomson, Anderson, Mair, Gilpin (GK)

Malt and Hops Man of the Match: Dan Ward





Next Fixture

Date: 23/07/24
Opponent: Forfar Athletic
Venue:Ainslie Park
Competition: Premier Sports Cup
Kick off: 7.45pm

William Hill J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin