Seniors leave it late to win while Juniors and Ammies draw their games

Posted on Saturday, October 2nd, 2010

The Seniors had to score in the 87th minute to beat selkirk in the league.  An unchanged starting XI looked in control in the early stages.  Donal Henretty, Omar Kader and Chris Townsley all had good chances and should have scored.  On the half hour mark and against the run of play Kevin Sivewright gave away a soft penalty, however Chris Flockhart dived to save the ball, keeping up his excellent penalty saving record.  Five minutes later selkirk were ahead when Cockburn headed home at the far post.  We kept on attacking and just before the half time whistle Ross Archibald nodded a Keith McLeod cross against the post.

Selkirk had much more of the play in the second half as we struggled to play with the fluidity we had in the first.  The game became tousy and it took until the 75th minute for the equaliser to come.  Ross was pushed as he attacked the ball at the far post and Keith slotted home the resulting penalty kick.

The rest of the game was end to end and Selkirk hit the cross bar with a great free kick.  Just before the end the winner came, Gavin Malin taking a through ball from Keith and after stopping to look at options he squared it for Omar Kader to fire in the winner.  There was  just enough time left for Jack Beesley to miss in front of goal before the final whistle came.  Ross Archibald winning the Malt and Hops Man of the Match.  Team: Flockhart, O’Donnell, Hoskins, Sivewright, Townsley, Kader, Henretty (Beesley 80), McLeod (Fowlie 88), Malin, Manson, Archibald (Smith 80) sub not used: McGarrie

The Juniors and Ballingry Rovers will have to do it all again next week following a 3-3 draw in the Emirate Junior Scottish Cup 1st round match at Ainslie Park today. Mark Cowan put us in front in the 14th minute. Ballingry were then reduced to ten men in the 43rd minute when their keeper was sent off for a tackle on Cowan outside the box, preventing a goal scoring chance. It seemed we were on easy street just a minute after when Kenny Young’s freekick was deflected over the stranded substitue keeper who had just come on.

Ballingry however were not to be beaten. 2 goals and a man down they came out fighting in the second half and when Jay Stein scored a wonderful goal from outside the box it was certianly game on.  It was no surprise when Jamie Gilfillian made the most of some weak defending to equalise just 5 minutes later.

Mark Cowan scored his second of the day in the 80th minute. Doing really well to hold of the Ballingry defender before firing home with an impressive strike. Sadly a lapse in concentration at the back allowed Jamie Gilfillan to score yet another equaliser with just a minute left on the clock.

The Juniors will now travel to Ballingry next weekend for the replay. Team: Paterek, Cruickshank, McKibben, Steele, Scott, Campbell, Shanks (Bannon), Kane (Reid), Cowan, Young, McKenzie (Moffat) Unusued subs: Middlemass, Smith, Hair

The Amateurs drew 2 – 2 in the Scottish Cup with Ferniside, Cammy Clark and Steve Malin scoring to put us 2 – 0 up at the break.

Tomorrow the EOS 19s play CSS in a league game at the Academy, ko 2pm.  Our Womens team travel to Wishaw to play Hamilton, the league game ko’s at 3pm.

Next Fixture

Date: 16/07/24
Opponent: Cove Rangers
Venue:Balmoral Stadium
Competition: Premier Sports Cup
Kick off: 7.45pm

William Hill J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin