Last gasp win

Posted on Saturday, November 21st, 2009

After Hutch’s hard work on the pitch this morning we were rewarded with a 2 – 1 win to go through to the quarter final of the SFA Regional Cup.  Back into the starting line up came Keith McLeod, Donal Henretty and Chris Flockhart but it was City who started the better team and it was no surprise when Caddow gave them the lead.  Clee turned well and his cross to the back post was knocked home. 

We upped the pace and equalised five minutes later.  Ross Archibald made a great run down the wing and cut inside.  As he burst into the box the City defender made a clumsy challenge and the penalty was awarded, a bit soft but the referee was in no doubt.  Keith Mcleod despatched it well.  We played well in the remainder of the first half but werent created many chances.  Early in the second half City had a goal chalked off for offside before we again took control.  Keith and then Alex King both hit the post from close range and City survived a number of close shaves.  The pitch was slippy but holding up well as we had most of the play but City looked very dangerous on the break.  Omar Kader came on for Donal Henretty just after the hour mark and his sharpness immediately created chances.  Today’s celebrity fan was Celtic and Scotland winger Shaun Maloney and he must have enjoyed Omar’s wing play after using his vantage point on the balcony to watch both games, he see his mate big Fin score one but miss a few for the Amateurs on the FieldTurf. 

The slippy ball had caused both ‘keepers problems all afternoon and as extra time loomed their ‘keeper Monteith dropped the ball as he dived at the feet of Keith who seemed to take it wider than he needed to before slotting home from an acute angle.  There were 93 minutes on the clock and no time for City to fight back.

No-one stood out today but for his two goals the MoM goes to Keith.

Team: Flockhart, Archibald, Fowlie, Gerrard, Sivewright, Henretty (Kader 62), Hoskins, Malin, King, McLeod, Manson Subs not used: O’Donnell, McAuley, Vitelli, McGarrie Att 185

Cloudy - MoM

Cloudy - MoM

The Juniors game against Harthill was abandoned at half time with us leading 1 – 0.  Kenny Young had scored with a rare header and we looked comfortable.  The pitch had cut up badly and the referee felt he had no choice but to call a halt.  New manager David Cowan had made two changes from the 11 who had started against Broxburn in the last game with Struan Preston coming in for the unavailable Nick Reid, and Shaun Smith replacing the injured David Paterek in goals. Team: Smith, Cruickshank, Antoni, Sutherland, Hutchison, K Young, Scott, Moffat, Bannon, Preston, Perry Subs not used: Hair, G Young, Douglas, Boyes, Robertson, Cartwright, McLeod 

The Amateurs progressed to the 3rd Round of the Logan Cup with a 2 – 1 win over Dunedin.  The goals came from Finlay Clark and Craig Brown.  The funniest moment came when Ron Napier’s drive from the edge of the box cleared the houses behind the North goal and the ball went sailing down Pilton Avenue.

Next Fixture

Date: 23/07/24
Opponent: Forfar Athletic
Venue:Ainslie Park
Competition: Premier Sports Cup
Kick off: 7.45pm

William Hill J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin