Robbie at the double as Spartans secure Ramsdens Cup first-leg lead

Posted on Saturday, July 13th, 2013

Spartans take a 2 goal lead to Castle Douglas in the Ramsdens Cup qualifier after beating Threave Rovers 4-2 at Ainslie Park.

A crowd of 321 were treated to six goals in a fantastic opener to the Scottish football season in the Capital.

The visitors had the first chance of the game in the opening minutes after a goalmouth stramash from a Nicholl free-kick finally saw the ball sneak wide of Bennett’s post.

Beacher came close to opening his account for the Club when he left a Threave defender for dead however the big striker couldn’t get his effort on target.

Despite the early start to the 2013/14 campaign and several new faces in each camp, both teams looked confident on the ball but couldn’t find a way to break the deadlock.

A fantastic first touch by Whatley saw his glide past Cooksley only for his cross to be turned past his own post by Patterson.

Half Time: Spartans FC 0-0 Threave Rovers.

With no changes at the break from either camp, both managers stuck with their original line ups in a bid to make an early breakthrough.

That came in the 48th minute – and it was for the home team.

A Jack Beesley cross whipped in from out wide evaded the Rovers defence and it was left for Robbie Ross to get his big yellow boots wrapped round the ball to tap it in from 6 yards out. 1-0.

It was a double for Ross minutes later when he headed the ball past Parker in the Threave goal with the aid of a slight deflection to extend the Spartans lead.

There were strong appeals for a Spartans penalty after MacKinnon leaped above Kerr only to see his goal-bound header blocked on the back post by the Rovers defender. The ball looked to strike the arm however Referee Nick Walsh waved away the home sides claims.

Threave edged their way back into the game with a Milligan goal with a tap in from a yard out, nipping between Whatley and Sivewright in the Spartans defence. 2-1.

It was all square after 77 minutes when Bennett rushed out to the edge of his box to deal with a through ball however his clumsy challenge on Milligan left the man in the middle no option than to point to the spot. Wilby sent the keeper the wrong way and pegged back the deficit. 2-2.

Henretty came off the bench to and was unlucky not to regain the lead. A trio of corner kicks troubled the Threave defence however the final effort on goal by the substitute went over the bar.

With 5 minutes to go, Spartans nudged their way back in front and it was another clear cut spot kick decision for the whistler.

Gary Cennerazzo made a bursting run into the box and as he stepped inside to shape up for the shot at goal, he was upended by Kerr. Kevin Motion took the resultant penalty and slotted it neatly into the bottom left hand corner. 3-2.

As the keenly and cleanly fought contest went into injury time, Chris Anderson restored Spartans two goal advantage. Main left three Threave defenders rooted to the spot in the 6 yard box after connecting with a Beacher cross from the right flank. His half-volley across the box was a gift for Anderson who popped it home despite the despairing attempts of goalkeeper Parker to stop him.

Final Score: Spartans FC 4 – 2 Threave Rovers.

Malt and Hops Man 0f the Match: He barely put a foot wrong all afternoon at the heart of the defence – Kevin Sivewright.

Photos courtesy of Carson Ralton

Team: Bennett, Cennerazzo, Main, Sivewright, MacKinnon, Motion, Brown (Henretty 78), Whatley, Ross (Anderson 84), Beacher & Beesley.  Subs: Anderson, Gilpin, Blaikie, Henretty, MacCuish.

Crime Count: Bookings > Ross & Whatley.

Next Fixture

Date: 23/07/24
Opponent: Forfar Athletic
Venue:Ainslie Park
Competition: Premier Sports Cup
Kick off: 7.45pm

William Hill J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin