Spartans secure Image Printers cup

Posted on Sunday, March 27th, 2011

The Seniors secured the first trophy of the season with a hard fought 2-1 AET victory over Tynecastle today at St Marks Park.

On a beautiful day and a fantastic playing surface both teams looked to play nice football in what was a highly entertaining game. The 250-odd who decided to watch the final over the Scotland friendly were rewarded with a game full of action, events and played by two very good football sides.

Omar Kader replaced Danny O’Donnell in the only chance from the team which drew with Lothian Thistle during the week.

We slightly edged the first half with Keith McLeod having a couple of chances including a header which rattled the bar and went over.  Jack Beesley and Omar Kader both worked hard on the wings to force a number of corners however Tynecastle were quick to close down any space which was limiting the number of clear chances we had.

Into the second half and Tynecastle were taking the momentum in the game. Ross Archibald herocially managed to head clear a ball which looked certain to drop for the Tynecastle attack in the box. Tynecastle took the lead in the 69th minute though when Darren Aird fired home a shot from the edge of the box.

Wayne McIntosh thought he’d extended the lead just a few minutes later when he headed into the goal, however he was flagged for offside and the goal didn’t stand.

This gave us the wake up call needed and just 8 minutes after going behind Keith McLeod brought us back level. His header was clear by the Tynecastle defence, however the assistant referee correctly confirmed the ball had crossed the line, a fact confirmed by the photographer placed on the goal line (we hope to have pictures later).

The Tynecastle keeper had to be taken off in injury time as he pulled up taking a goal kick and he was replaced for the start of extra time. The Tynecastle substitute however made a huge mistake which allowed us to score the winning goal. Our attack had been stopped with the keeper collecting the ball. He thought a freekick had been given so put the ball down and took a few steps back. That allowed substitue Donal Henretty to sneak up into the box to fire the ball home.

The Tynecastle players protested however following a quick chat with the Assistant Linesman, the goal stood.

We had several other chances to score, however following his earlier error the substitute Tynecastle keeper pulled of some fantastic saves to prevent McLeod, King and Etale extending the lead.

Malt & Hops Man of the Match: Chris Townsley, who was once again a rock in defence. Also a special mention for Keith McLeod who put in yet another hard working performance upfront.

Team: Flockhart, Kader, Hoskins, Townsley, Sivewright, Malin (Etale), King, Manson, Archibald, McLeod, Beesley (Henretty) Unused: McGarrie, Fowlie, O’Donnell

Next Fixture

Date: Friday 17th May
Opponent: Dumbarton
Venue:Ainslie Park
Competition: Play-Off Final 2nd Leg
Kick off: 7.30pm

cinch J-Teq EMS Solutions Ltd Spentwell JB Contracts (Scotland) Ltd
Mintbox Removals Johnstone Carmichael Consider IT Shepherd Chartered Surveyors
Sonsie Face Westwoods Health Club Mr Eion Coffee Hart Lifts
Soho IT CHAS Jim Martin